TDS Payment Online is a facility available to the taxpayers to ease the payment of tax. TDS refers to the tax deducted at source. The TDS Deductor deducts tax at the time of making payment to Deductee. The Deductor has the option to deduct tax either on the invoice date or payment date whichever is earlier. After deducting the TDS amount at the applicable TDS rate, he will be paying the balance amount to the Deductee.
How to make TDS payment online?
Below are the steps to make TDS payment online:
1.Go to the website https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/etds-etcs/etds-index.html
2. Click on “Click to pay tax online”.
3.You will reach the below screen. Click on proceed under challan no/ ITNS 281 which is for TDS.
4. Select Tax Applicable as “(0020) Company Deductees”. (See below snapshot after point6)
5.Select type of payment as “(200) TDS/TCS Payable by Taxpayer”.(See below snapshot after point6)
6.Select nature of payment as “94J – Fees for Professional or Technical Services”.(See below snapshot after point6)
7.Select mode of payment as either Net-Banking or Debit card.
8.Enter your “Tax deduction Account No” (TAN of Buyer). (refer below snapshot after point 12)
9.Enter the current assessment year.(refer below snapshot after point 12)
10. Enter the details of mandatory fields such as City/ District, State and Pin code.(refer below snapshot after point 12)
11.Input the captcha code as displayed on the screen.(refer below snapshot after point 12)
12. Click on Proceed.(refer below snapshot after point 12)
13. If the details entered by you is accurate, you will see the below screen.
14. Select the “I agree” and click on “Submit to the Bank”.
15. You will be redirected to the Bank page. Login with bank credentials and make the payment.
In addition to making TDS Payment online, it is mandatory that you file TDS return at the end of every quarter. Also, ensure that you file your quarterly TDS return within the TDS return due date.
Due Date for TDS Payment Online
The Due date for TDS payment online for non-government deductors is 7th of the next month. And the due for TDS payment online for government deductors is 7th of the next month if payment is made through challan and the due date is same day if payment is made through book entry.
Below are the TDS Due Dates for FY 2022-23
|April 2022||7th May 2022|
|May 2022||7th June 2022|
|June 2022||7th July 2022|
|July 2022||7th Aug 2022|
|Aug 2022||7th Sep 2022|
|Sep 2022||7th Oct 2022|
|Oct 2022||7th Nov 2022|
|Nov 2022||7th Dec 2022|
|Dec 2022||7th Jan 2023|
|Jan 2023||7th Feb 2023|
|Feb 2023||7th Mar 2023|
|Mar 2023||30th April 2023|
Different TDS rates are applicable based on the nature of payment.
|Section||Nature of payment||TDS rate|
|193||Interest on Securities||10%|
|195||Other sums payable to a non-resident||10%|
|4BB||Winning from horse race||30%|
|4DA||Payment in respect of life insurance policy||5%|
|4EE||Payments in respect of Deposits under National Saving Schemes||10%|
|4LA||Payment of compensation on Acquisition of certain immovable property||10%|
|4LC||Income by way of interest from infrastructure debt fund payable to a non-resident||5% or 4%|
|4LD||Interest on Rupee denominated bond of Company or Government Securites||5%|
|92A||Payment to Govt. Employees other than Union Govt. employees||normal slab rate|
|92B||Payment of Employees other than Govt. Employees||normal slab rate|
|94A||Interest other than Interest on Securities||10%|
|94B||Winning from lotteries and crossword puzzles||30%|
|94C||Payment of contractors and sub-contractors||2%|
|94E||Payments to non-resident Sportsmen/Sport Associations||20%|
|94F||Payments on account of Re-purchase of Units by Mutual Funds of UTI||20%|
|94G||Commission, prize etc. on sale of Lottery tickets||5%|
|94H||Commission or Brokerage||5%|
|94I||Rent||2% or 10%|
|94J||Fees for Professional or Technical Services||2% or 10%|
|94K||Income Payable to a resident assessee in respect of units of a specified Mutual Fund or of the units of the UTI||10%|
|94N||Payment of certain amounts in cash||2%|
|94P||Payment to Specified Senior Citizen||2%|
|94Q||Deduction of tax at source on payment of certain sum for purchase of goods||0.1%|
|96A||Income in respect of Units of non-residents|
|96B||Payments in respect of Units to an Offshore Fund||10%|
|96C||Income from foreign currency Bonds or Shares of Indian Company payable to a non-resident||10%|
|96D||Income of Foreign Institutional investors from securities||20%|
|2AA||Payment of accumulated balance due to an employee||10%|
|LBB||Income in respect of units of investment fund||10%|
|LBC||Income in respect of investment in securitization trust||25% or 30%|
|4IC||Payment under specified agreement||10%|
|94O||TDS on E-commerce transactions||1%|
How to Calculate TDS Amount Payable?
TDS amount is calculated on the amount before tax payable to the Deductee. The applicable TDS rate is applied on the amount before tax to arrive at the TDS amount deductable for a Deductee.
TDS deduction is applicable on different types of payments such as
1.Payment of Salary
2.Payment of Rent
5.Remuneration paid to the director of a company
6.Transfer of immovable property
7.Interest on securities
8.Winning from games like a crossword puzzle, card, lottery
10.Amount under LIC
Check TDS payment online status
You can the check the status of the TDS Payment online by following the below steps:
1. Go to the official NSDL website https://www.tin-nsdl.com/index.html and Under Services click on “OLTAS”.
2. You will reach the below screen. Click on “Challan Status Inquiry”.
3.Again, click on “Challan Status Inquiry” as shown below.
4.Select either from CIN (Challan Identification Number) based view or TAN based view.
5.Fill the requisite details in order to view the Status
4.You will now be able to View the challan and download the challan.
To View Challan Details:
- On selecting this option challan details for the selected TAN and period can be viewed.
To Download Challan Details:
- On selecting this option text file containing challan details for the selected TAN and period can be downloaded.
- This file should be used to verify the challan details mentioned in the Quarterly e-TDS/TCS statement
- For verifying the challan details import the challan file in the File Validation Utility (FVU) along with the text file (Quarterly e-TDS/TCS statement).
- On successful validation of Quarterly e-TDS/TCS statement, FVU will provide the matching statistic for challan details mentioned in the e-TDS/TCS statement.
- Period selected should be within 24 months.
Consequences of Late payment of TDS Online
If TDS is not paid within the due date, interest of 1.5% will be imposed on a part or whole of the amount every month from the date the TDS was deducted to till the actual payment of TDS to the government as per section 201A of the Income Tax Act, 1961.